Asthma and Schools
During the school year children spend about 40% of their wakeful hours at school. Recognition of asthma and the impact it has on children in school is important. School personnel play an important role in helping students with asthma manage their condition at school. It is important that students with asthma are supported within a school that is asthma friendly.
The information and recommendations provided here will help you develop and maintain an asthma friendly environment for your school. Creating and maintaining an asthma friendly school shows that you and members of your school community are responsive to the needs of children with asthma.
Schools can focus on the seven goals for creating asthma friendly schools. The aim is to create a team approach that draws on the knowledge, skills and commitment of everyone involved in the school environment regardless of their medical background.
7 Goals for Creating Asthma Friendly Schools:
1. Establish a process to identify students with asthma.
2. Allow students with asthma easy access to (fast-acting) inhalers.
3. Establish a school-wide process for handling worsening asthma.
4. Identify and reduce exposure to common asthma triggers within the school environment.
5. Encourage students with asthma to participate in school activities, especially physical activities, to the best of their abilities.
6. Provide school personnel, parents and the student body opportunities to learn about asthma.
7. Collaborate with families, health care professionals and school personnel to creat asthma friendly schools.
By creating asthma friendly schools you can work towards successfully:
- Establishing a supportive learning environment for students with asthma.
- Reducing school absenteeism.
- Reducing disruption in the classroom.
- Providing the necessary support in the event of worsening asthma or emergency.
- Achieving full participation in school related activities, including physical activities.
- Improving communication between members of the school community.
- Assisting student to become successful life long managers of their asthma.
Click on the blackboard below to learn more about how each member of the school community can contribute to the creation of asthma friendly schools: