This blueprint identifies the steps required to implement the Creating Asthma Friendly Schools (CAFS) Resource Kit. This section includes the steps to working with schools and getting started. The 4 steps include:
Consider the following issues when planning implementation:
- Most schools, with the exception of year-round schools, operate from September to June.
- There are times in the school year when staff are busy and not interested in extra initiatives.
Some of those times include:
- the first few weeks of September, last few weeks of June
- report card writing/submission times (2-3 times per year)
- 1-2 weeks before Christmas and Easter
- The weeks of Gr. 3 & 6 standardized testing (EQAO), usually in May.
It may be beneficial to start the process of identifying interested schools in early spring. This will allow for the identification of key individuals by the end of the school year thereby facilitating easy access in September when you are ready to begin the process of Creating Asthma Friendly Schools (Section 3).