There are 7 goals for creating asthma friendly schools:
- Establish a process to identify students with asthma.
- Allow students with asthma easy access to inhalers.
- Establish a school-wide process for handling worsening asthma.
- Identify and reduce common asthma triggers within the school environment.
- Encourage students with asthma to participate in school activities to the best of their abilities.
- Provide school personnel, parents and the student body opportunities to gain a general understanding of asthma.
- Collaborate with families, health care professionals and school personnel to create asthma friendly schools.
Refer to the CAFS Resource Kit for implementation details
It may be difficult for many schools to achieve all 7 goals outlined in the CAFS Resource Kit. However, at a minimum, schools should try to address the following:
- Goal 6: Provide school-based asthma education to students with asthma, school personnel and the school body.
The CAFS Resource Kit outlines specific activities and resources which will help you address the 7 goals for creating asthma friendly schools.