Goal 5: Encourage students with asthma to participate in school activities, especially physical activities, to the best of their abilities.
- Often students with asthma are sidelined from physical activity and may not participate fully in other school-related activities. Support and encourage school personnel to have students with asthma participate in all school activities. Students with asthma should be expected to participate in physical activities or exercise unless otherwise specified by a physician or the child is currently experiencing asthma symptoms.
- Explain to teachers and coaches that students with controlled asthma can participate in physical activity, even vigorous physical activity. Support the expectation that students with asthma need to be participating in physical activities such as recess and physical education class.
- Provide copies and review with school personnel the following resources:
- Explain the importance of being prepared to handle worsening asthma on school field trips and review the necessary precautions. For example, teachers should:
- Notify parents/guardians well in advance of school field trips and describe the activities that will occur.
- Ensure that reliever inhalers are easily accessible on school field trips and know how to handle worsening asthma.
- Bring the Student's Asthma Management Plan
- Invite an athlete who has asthma to speak to the students with asthma.